At Western New York Urology Associates, we want you to be comfortable with your treatment options and individualized care plan. That is why we encourage all of our patients to learn more about their conditions and treatment plans.
To help you find more information, we have put together this comprehensive list of medical links. Additionally, please click on any of these links to download any of these Western New York Urology Associates materials:
Western New York Urology Associates Brochure (English)
Western New York Urology Associates Brochure (Español)
Prostate Cancer Patient Handbook
Elevated PSA Brochure
Robotic Prostatectomy Brochure
Cancer Care of Western New York Brochure
Western New York Urology Associates Video Health Library
However, before you start to research online, remember that a lot of information you find online is misleading, or simply not true. Many of the online health services were created by companies whose main goal is to make money. Next time you log on to your favorite health care site, look for the sponsor and the advertisers. Then consider whether the information is in your best interest, or whether it is designed to sell you something. If you would like, we can point you to sites where the health care information is reviewed by competent medical professionals.
We suggest the following five criteria to evaluate the sites you visit. These guidelines were developed by George D. Lundberg, M.D., former editor of the Journal of the American Medical Association, and health journalist William M. Silberg. Unless you can answer these questions, you should consider any online information unreliable.
- Who wrote what you are reading? The site should contain the name of a real person.
- Where does that person work? A university? A web business? A product manufacturer? Can you easily find that information on the site?
- Was the information created for the website? If not is there clear attribution showing where the information originated?
- Who owns the site and who pays for it? The source of money and ownership should be clearly identified.
- Can you tell when the article itself was posted, whether it has been updated, and when?